Friday, September 4, 2020

Week 2 Story - Get out of my way, Frog

I originally started writing this story off of The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart because of the I enjoy stories that give witty lessons and shows how one character outsmarts another. Trickery and twists are what makes stories fun for me. Though I myself, am a horrible storyteller, I tried my best here to give my own version of the story I read. 

Get out of my way, Frog 

Once upon a time, before the age of humans, there existed a small but capable tick in the great forest of Mozarat. He wondered around the woods every day, feasting on whatever poor animal’s blood he could find. 

Down one of the flowing creeks in the forest, there was a monstrous frog who was known to love eating ticks. Any regular tick would know not to ever dare set their feet near the water. However, according to the legends, on the other side of the creek existed thousands and thousands of animals with gallons of blood stored in each of them!

The small tick who has been dying of curiosity decided to come up with a plan to get rid of the frog once and for all! With a plan in mind, he went to a snake he befriended to ask him for help. 

A couple days later, it was time for the tick to turn his plans into actions. With a little bit of nervousness as the tick was not completely aware of everything the frog was capable of doing, he approached the frog who was sitting on a tall rock with care. 

“Hey there partner, if you’re not too busy I would like to ask you for your help!” shouted the tick to the frog.

“You’re a tick, are you not aware of the fact that I am a frog who particularly enjoys eating frogs?” answered the frog.

“Oh of course I know who you are! That’s why I am here. You see, there is a neighboring tick family that just will not leave my family alone. So I was thinking, how about I lead you to where they are, you get a nice free dinner, and my family and I won’t ever have to worry about them again! Now, how’s that sound?” suggested the tick.

“Hmm, alright, I was actually getting a bit hungry anyways, lead the way, let’s go,” the frog replied and jumped over to the tick’s direction. 

As soon as the frog jumped off from the tall rock and landed on the ground where the tick was, the snake who is a friend of the tick slithered out from behind a tree and swallowed the frog whole! 

“(muffled) Help!! What is this?? Why would you do this to me??” shouted the frog from inside the snake’s stomach.

The tick turned and faced the snake’s stomach, “Hey man, we all have to find ways to live you know? You swallowed enough of my kind, and now it’s your turn. Why would you think I would ever lead you to eat my people? Sorry but not sorry, it’s time we got to be on the other side of the creek.” 

-End

(Image Information: The story of a snake with a frog in his throat; source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361790/The-story-snake-frog-throat.html)



The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart
Author: Marie L. Shedlock
From Eastern Stories and Legends
https://sites.google.com/view/jatakas/monkey

2 comments:

  1. You say that you are not a story writing type, but you at least have the basics down in my opinion. The story is entertaining, and has a moral. I like your classic portrayal of the old adage "what goes around, comes around".I think ending abruptly on the frog getting eaten, and the ticks final words work to this themes strength. If I were to make a suggestion, it would be for the frog to also give some "hints" towards a nice location in exchange for the frogs information, but then the flea ends up getting swallowed whole by one of the frogs friends (that being another frog). This would I feel complete the cycle of the whole moral you are running with here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taeam!
    I just wrote on your introductory blog post and I know you are not a writing major at all, but you did a really good job on this story! I think that this is a really good example of something that might be in a childrens book that teaches lessons, like fables. Overall, I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete